Did anyone read this article today in the 24 Hours newspaper??! Where do I even begin…
- For one, it’s from a heterosexual perspective that she never acknowledges. I take it, then, that all “women learned how to use their sexuality to lure men” and that “like moths to a flame, we attracted the opposite sex.”
- She groups “one-night stands” with “being treated with disrespect” and “not getting the call back the next day.” Okay, first of all, wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of a one night stand? Expecting a phone call the next day? And secondly, a woman can have a one-night stand and still be respected by the person with whom she had the one-night stand and still have respect for herself. A woman’s self-worth and respect is not based off of how many sexual partners or one-night stands she has. Do I live in some backwards 1950s ‘only bad girls have one-night stands’ sexist Vancouver?
- Supposedly, after a woman has more one-night stands her “self-esteem suffers more and more.” Guess what, it IS possible for a woman to have one-night stands and still look for a potential partner. Look up the definition of multi-tasking. And again, a woman’s self-esteem is not tied to how many sexual partners or one-night stands she has
- “Just maybe, there will be one that will see the real you, who will want to invest in you to be their woman.” First of all, women DO NOT belong to anyone! A woman is no one’s property to invest in. This sentence is disgusting. Does Chan mean that deep down, all women want is a partner to take care of them? To be loved by a man? To be someone’s girlfriend?
- Wait, she means “someone who they’d be proud to introduce to their family, friends, and colleagues.” Because a woman with whom a man has had a one-night stand is not worthy of being his girlfriend or being intorduced to his family, friends, or co-workers. Women who have one-night stands will end up alone and unworthy of being anyone’s girlfriend! Oh, the horror! What a horrible, horrible fate!
- Chan tells me that my “strategy is all wrong.” The problem has to do with the woman – ALWAYS – and it is always her responsibility to remedy it. Because love is a battlefield, right?
Doesn’t Pat know that she is not attracting boyfriends when she is wearing “skimpy outfits… [and] loads of makeup?”
- “When you exude sexual energy to lure a man, all he sees is fun and sex.” Sigh “Sexual energy,” whatever is meant by that, can take more forms other than wearing skimpy outfits and caking on the makeup… It is possible for a man to see a woman exude “sexual energy” and see her as “fun and sex” AND as an intelligent, charming, perosnable, and outgoing person! A woman with whome he wants to know on an emotional level! This might sound out-of-this-world….. but men are human too!!!
- “… consciously or subconsciously…” CAVEMAN WANT WOMAN. WOMAN TO INTRODUCE TO CAVEMAN FAMILY SO NO WOMAN CAVEMAN HAD ONE-NIGHT STAND WITH. GAY CAVEMAN NO EXIST. ALL CAVEMEN WANT IS CAVEWOMEN. Because evolutionary psychology is so convincing…
- God, do I even have to critique the rest of her article?! It so offensive and it just oozes sexism. I might finish it later if I have the energy, but really, the problems with it are so elementary that anyone can easily point them out.
Now, instead of dwelling on your daily-piece of sexism, lets watch a video! YAY!